The crazy amount of snow we've been getting lately has just been too much for my usual gloves, so I figured mittens would be a good idea. Handily enough, I'd just made a pair of mittens as a shop sample before the holidays, and I freaking loved the yarn - it's the chunky version of Berroco Vintage. One skein was more than enough for a pair (and I even made them a little on the large side). The pattern...well, the less said the better. It ended up being a 'Pirate's Code' kind of situation.
I managed to get them done just in time for (what will hopefully be) the last round of snow.
And here we have them after shoveling (and in better light - this is closer to the color in person):
I'm very pleased with how they held up - I was out in the snow for somewhere between and hour and a half and an hour and a quarter, mittens covered in snow, using one of those snowshovels with the 'grippy' handle that's like a ginger grater (and my hands stayed so warm!). There's really not much fuzzing or pilling, and what there is looks like a good run through the washer and dryer will clear up.
And in the world of cats, poor Miss Minerva's been frustrated lately. We have an obvious mouse in the basement chewing insulation off of pipes, but it seems to be keeping up out of her reach. We've given her free run of the basement for the last few days, and she's spent most of her time there, coming up only to lie around the house sighing heavily (seriously - you've never heard a cat sigh so much in your life) and occasionally take out her frustrations on her toys. I feel bad for her, since despite usually being a bit of a dim bulb, she's really an excellent mouser (very good about just catching them without eating them) and she's being denied her chance to shine. At this rate, we're just going to have to wait until payday and spring for a mousetrap.