Sunday, September 23, 2007

Secret Agent Cat

We couldn't have Little Kitty Dude showing up to the party tomorrow underdressed, so I whipped up a little something for him to wear. He loves the silly thing, wore it all evening without a peep out of him.

Presenting... Secret Agent Cat! (go on, sing the chorus of the song, you know you want to)
Here's my first draft of the pattern, I'll work it over a bit and see if I can refine it a bit when I have the time.

Materials:
black yarn (I used Paton's Classic Wool Merino, left over from the Kitty Pi)
size 5 needles
crochet hook
Velcro
darning needle
measuring tape
very compliant cat

Instructions:
  • Measure cat's neck (or dog's, I guess).
  • Cast on 5
  • Work in garter stitch, slipping first stitch of each row, until piece measures 1/2 of neck measurement.
  • k2tog, k1, k2tog
  • knit row
  • purl row
  • Continue in stockinette, increasing one stitch at the beginning and end of every knit row until 11 stitches are on the needle.
  • Bind off knitwise
  • Cast on 11
  • purl
  • work in stockinette, decreasing first and last stitches of each knit row until 3 stitches remain, ending with a knit row
  • purl
  • knit
  • Using crochet hook, remove each stitch from the needle, pull through the base stitches of the other triangle, and place back on needle
  • kfb, k1, kfb
  • continue in garter stitch until band is long enough to go around cat's neck comfortably with some overlap and bind off.
  • (optional) Cast on 3, work 7 rows stockinette. Bind off and sew around center of bow
    • (if you were making this for a female cat, you could put something shiny here instead)
  • Sew in ends, block, tack down edges of bow, and attach Velcro to each end.
  • Sneak up on cat (preferably while sleeping) and attach collar to cat.




----------------
Now playing: Regina Spektor - On the Radio
via FoxyTunes



3 comments:

Astrid said...

This is seriously adorable. I really want one for my kitten ... unfortunately, he's not all that compliant and I'm not a very talented knitter. I think I may have to ask his "auntie" to make it for him!

ChemKnits said...

Super fun! I want to make this for my (future) dog.

Dragonridermom said...

This is so cute. My cat would claw my arm off if I tried to put it on him. I think it would be better on a dog. They will let you dress them in anything.