Presenting... Secret Agent Cat! (go on, sing the chorus of the song, you know you want to)
Here's my first draft of the pattern, I'll work it over a bit and see if I can refine it a bit when I have the time.
black yarn (I used Paton's Classic Wool Merino, left over from the Kitty Pi)
size 5 needles
very compliant cat
- Measure cat's neck (or dog's, I guess).
- Cast on 5
- Work in garter stitch, slipping first stitch of each row, until piece measures 1/2 of neck measurement.
- k2tog, k1, k2tog
- knit row
- purl row
- Continue in stockinette, increasing one stitch at the beginning and end of every knit row until 11 stitches are on the needle.
- Bind off knitwise
- Cast on 11
- work in stockinette, decreasing first and last stitches of each knit row until 3 stitches remain, ending with a knit row
- Using crochet hook, remove each stitch from the needle, pull through the base stitches of the other triangle, and place back on needle
- kfb, k1, kfb
- continue in garter stitch until band is long enough to go around cat's neck comfortably with some overlap and bind off.
- (optional) Cast on 3, work 7 rows stockinette. Bind off and sew around center of bow
- (if you were making this for a female cat, you could put something shiny here instead)
- Sew in ends, block, tack down edges of bow, and attach Velcro to each end.
- Sneak up on cat (preferably while sleeping) and attach collar to cat.
Now playing: Regina Spektor - On the Radio